How to File a Tax ExtensionIt is important to get your tax return in by the IRS’ April 15th deadline. But what happens when meeting that deadline is just not possible? Filing an extension is a great option to avoid penalties and late fees. Even if you missed ATBS’ March 6th deadline for submitting your tax organizer to us, it is still possible to file an extension with the IRS.

Here are some things you should know about working with ATBS to file an extension:

  • Extensions for individual returns MUST be filed by April 15th.
  • If your completed tax organizer gets to us after the 6th of March, it is likely that ATBS will file an extension on your behalf to avoid the penalties and fees associated with late returns.
  • If you are currently utilizing our monthly business services and are in need of an extension, we will automatically file your extension on April 15th, whether you request one or not, at no additional charge to you.
  • Not using our monthly services? Just call and talk to us about filing an extension. It only takes about five minutes and costs $50. While the $50 is not refundable, we will apply it to your tax preparation fees.
  • When will your tax return be done? While the IRS extension period lasts until October 15, ATBS is dedicated to completing your return as quickly as possible. We complete each return in the order it was received.
  • What if you want your tax return completed faster? Alternately, you have the option of paying an additional charge to have your taxes done faster. We can expedite your taxes for just $125 and have your return filed within just five to seven business days as long as your tax organizer is completed and on file.

No matter when you file your taxes you should know that:

  • Owner-operators have an obligation to pay quarterly taxes. If you did not pay your estimated quarterly taxes this past year, it is doubtful that you will receive a refund.  However, if you provided timely and accurate information to ATBS throughout the year and paid the recommended estimates in each quarter, you will have most likely paid close to what your required annual payment will be. This means you likely will avoid penalties for underpayment of estimates.
  • Company drivers’ employers withhold taxes for them throughout the year.  For many drivers, this will result in a refund each year if you are having the proper amount of taxes withheld. If you are due a refund, the IRS will not penalize you for filing your return after the April 15th deadline.
  • If you expect to owe taxes for 2014, an extension of time to file your return is NOT an extension of time to pay. You are still required to pay your 2014 tax liability by April 15th.

How do I send payment to the IRS with my application for an extension?

You can download a blank application for a tax extension here.  If you'd prefer to have a completed extension voucher emailed to you, ATBS can provide you a copy of the extension we are filing on your behalf. Simply email to make that request. In the subject line of your email, please include your ATBS Code.

Remember, ATBS is here to help you with the tax extension filing process!  If you need any additional assistance, please contact your ATBS business consultant or tax professional at 888-640-4829.


Related information

Saving For the Future While Reducing Taxes Now

January 2014. Tax deferred savings plans have the advantage of growing in value by adding interest, dividends, and capital gains over the years. Read this article to learn more about the different types of plans you can use to help benefit you in the future.

Read full story


Sign Me Up